Run for God
"Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin that so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1
About Run for God
Mt. Hebron UMC is offering a 12-week “learn to run” program. Run for God combines a weekly Bible study with group training sessions to prepare participants to run a 5k (3.1 mile) road race. Individuals who complete the program will run or walk in a local road race.
The one-hour Bible study will be held at the church, located at 3050 Leaphart Road, West Columbia, on Monday evenings at 6:30 p.m., starting August 25. The Bible study illustrates the parallels between endurance running and the endurance required by one’s faith. The program consists of two additional training sessions (Thursday nights and Saturday mornings*) where participants train at the church each week with the support of their group. The program also includes a new 5K FITNESS WALKING PROGRAM. Child care will be provided at the Monday and Thursday evening sessions.
“Run for God” is targeted to beginners—absolutely no experience is required. Adults and children 7th grade and older (with a parent) are invited to participate. The program fee includes a RFG race shirt and entry into a 5k road race. The deadline to register is August 18.
“Since we first started this program at Mt. Hebron in 2012, we’ve introduced more than 150 people to the sport of running,” says Run for God coordinator Jenni Smith. “It is such a blessing to watch how God is using the simple sport of walking and running to touch and change people's lives!”
Run for God’s Mission
- To prepare people to be better witnesses for Christ: physically, mentally and spiritually
- Physically: Create a healthier you and reach new believers.
- Mentally: Learn the discipline and gain the endurance to “run the race before us.”
- Spiritually: Learn always to give God the glory for all we accomplish.
Class and Training Group
Bible Study Classes
- One-hour classes meet Mondays at Mt. Hebron UMC at 6:30 p.m.
- Class format: 30-minute Bible study and 30- minute instruction on various running topics
Group Training Sessions
- Three group training sessions per week* at Mt. Hebron UMC (*or other locations previously arranged and announced): Mondays at 7:30 (following the Bible Study), Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. for beginners. (*There will be longer run opportunities for alumni and experienced runners.)
- Participants do not have to attend all of the weekly training sessions with the group, but are encouraged to complete three weekly workouts.
- There will also be a group training to complete a half marathon in West Columbia on December 13th.
Run your First 5k
- Participants will "graduate" by completing a 5k or a 10K race on November 22.
- Eligibility: Adults and youth 7th grade and older (accompanied by a parent participant).
- Registration Fee: $50.00 per participant. Includes RFG shirt and entry fee for local 5k race. Purchase of book is optional. Cost of book is $20.
- Deadline: August 18, 2014
- Program runs August 25 - November 22.
For more information, contact:
Jennifer Smith at (803) 917-4082 or email@example.com.
You can also visit www.RunforGod.com.